Jolly Friday everyone! Before we get to this week’s TGIF surprise let’s do a quick recap of this last week!
– On Sunday Rikky, Izak, and Chris from Guantanamo Baywatch all got tattoos from Emily of Deadpanzies to honor our beloved Pop Zeus boy, Mikey Hodges (RIP). Then we went to the bowling alley in Eagle Rock to see No Parents and Massenger and White Night and show off our new tattoos.
– On Monday Rikky and Funkle DJ’d the rooftop of the Ace Hotel in downtown LA for Burger Records‘ monthly DJ night. We drank a lot of fancy cocktails for free.
– On Tuesday night Penelope Gazin came over and painted a new mural on one of the blank walls inside Studio G! Book your band to record at Studio G and you just might get to see it in person!
– On Wednesday we took the mail to the post office and The Memories recorded all day, and Pale Bitch stopped by and recorded a song too.
– Last night, on Thursday, Emily came back over and tattooed Funkle, Mark Tester from Burnt Ones, and our friend Ryan Reidy, and old friend of Mikey’s who just moved to LA. A bunch of friends came over, including Arian from Blouse and Eddie (who is hosting the Pitchfork radio thing happening in LA right now) came over with some “shimmering liqueur” and tequila. And Patty Burger came to play Hot Dice. There was some good dice games and everyone had a good time. Also Cory from Austin, TX and the bands Croy & The Boys and Dumb came over with some friends including a cool dog named Pablo who I let chew up my Mom doll.
Now that the recap is done let’s get to TGIF!
This week’s TGIF is a surprise Gnar Tapes Zine featuring Penelope Gazin, Kyle Field, Free Weed, and Jerry Rogers! Printed & assembled at Studio G using nice cardstock and staples. Limited edition of 30 only! Available in the shop!!!
Wait you know what…. HAVE AN EXCELLENT WEEKEND~!
Happy hello to you Friday y’all!
This past week at Gnar was PURRRFECT! –
– On Tuesday there was a Free Weed show at The Continental bar in Fullerton for Burger Records Taco Tuesday! (And we took the mail to the post office too ;-))
– On Wednesday we went to a free show at The Observatory in Santa Ana and saw No Parents and Kool Keith!
– And last night we had a little party at Studio G because Chris from Guantanamo Baywatch is visiting and we’ve been raging.
This TGIF we are stoked to let you know that you can now get PRE-ORDERS on our new batch of hot hot hot Gnar Tapes!
First we are sooooo happy to reissue the debut album by Soft Eyes! Soft Eyes is the new(ish) band from Lukas of the now defunct Burger Records band Mmoss. These songs were recorded in New Hampshire where he lives and the sound is reflected in the music. Check out this video! Gnar is in love.
Soft Eyes from Ty Ueda on Vimeo.
We are pumped up as all hell to release “Weird Sounds From Russia & Ukraine”; a top notch collection of contemporary rock, lo-fi, and psychedelia from Russia and Ukraine! Featuring artists you might know from releases on other good tape labels like Eggy Records and Goaty Tapes! We couldn’t choose one to show you because they are ALL SO GOOD!!! And different from each other. You will be stoked on this one. It’s a real surprise and treat.
Also up on the Gnar platter is the highly highly anticipated new album by Belgian rippers The Tubs. This time we’re teaming up with Burger Records to release this one as a GnarBurger; they’re that good. They are touring the US west coast for the first time this September! We are booking it! Grip this ripper hard!!!
And last, but not least ever, is Love Cop’s 5th album! Wow! Good work Love Cop! This time we’re teaming up with our bromigos Lolipop Records to drop this beauty. Check out the video.
HAPPY WEEKEND YALL!
This week, our second week, of TGIF (Thank Gnar It’s Friday) we are stok(n)ed to announce the formation of a new Gnar Tapes band, The Stoners. Featuring three of the core Gnar Dudes (and members of The Memories and White Fang) Rikky, Jimmy, and Izak AKA Free Weed, Jerry Rogers, and Totally You (aka Skinny Jesus). Formed here at Studio G where the three of them dwell, sleeping at night on the leftover flats of soundproofing foam that Bobby Harlow left behind after moving to New Orleans. Influenced by all music but especially Ween, Butthole Surfers, and rap, and Lenny Kravitz. They are currently recording their first full-length album but today’s TGIF we’re giving you a convenient Digital 7″ (#26!) to acclimate yourself. GO HERE.
Also this TGIF all GNAR SHOP mail orders from today until Sunday night come with a FREE Marriage Records CD of your choice! Not just that, but if you spend over $30 you get a FREE Marriage Records CD AND LP of your choice! (Just indicate in the comment box at the end which Marriage release(s) you want!)
Next week: YOU’LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE!